Pages

Monday, March 23, 2015

Beginner... Watercolors

Water colors, embossing and ink, Oh, My.

I started out playing with some watercolors my friend, Ann, gave me.  I now know they dry much lighter than they appear when wet.  

I also learned that I have a hard time "wasting" the paint left on my brush. Every time I changed colors I wanted to use all that lovely pigment on another piece of paper instead of washing it away in a bucket of water.  I do realize that is not the way watercolor is done... but it was very difficult for me to just wash the brush. Ann just shakes her head at me.

I also learned that it takes a long time for all that water to dry.  Good grief, I could have finished a journal page while I was waiting for this tiny piece of paper to dry.  I was told to start another piece... Where the heck do you put all these wet pieces while they dry?  

Can you tell, I'm new at and not very comfortable with watercolors?  Watercolors are Ann's media of choice. She is slowing teaching me about them.  I won't give up and I'm not ready to embrace them like a long lost friend either.  I have to keep reminding myself that it's about the process... not the finished product.

The tree is done with a Stampin Up set.  I stamped the trunk with brown archival ink. Next I used Tim Holtz's distressed ink and stamped the leaves.  Then I stamped them a second time with Versa Mark ink and embossed them with Distressed Embossing powder.

I guess we can truly call this a mixed media project.  Card stock, Watercolor paper, Watercolor paint, Ink, Embossing Powder and Versa Mark... Lot of types of media in this one.

Link to: Paint Party Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment