Pages

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Ribbon Confession

I went looking for purple ribbon today. I told a friend I'd make a Red Hat card for her. There wasn't any purple ribbon in the ribbon drawer. That doesn't mean I didn't have any purple ribbon.. it just meant I didn't have any there.

So the hunt began.... Where was my Tennessee Stampers Bag? It's a huge zippered bag that I always take to retreat and it's filled with ribbon and fiber. Eureka! Purple Ribbon, the only problem was that there was also LOTS of other ribbon too. As I pulled out bags of ribbon, hey at least I'd tried to organized it by colors at some point, I came to a conclusion. I have a way to much ribbon.

There is a little voice in my head that is screaming... "So, what's your point? There can never be too much ribbon." I hear the voice often. That voice led me to write this blog. The title just popped into my head as I was stuffing bags of ribbon back into the travel ribbon bag. Part of the reason I'm writing is procrastination. I have way too many crafting supplies and I've been thinking of culling them.

A few years ago, I had some major changes in my life and one of them involved moving to this little house that does not have room for all my "stuff." All my basic needs are met. The only thing missing is enough space to organize my craft supplies. I left everything in boxes for a while but then I really wanted to get "crafty" and I started emptying boxes. I soon discovered there was not enough room for all my hobbies.

I have a bad case of CGRS, Can't Get Rid of Stuff syndrome. I know I have it. It just doesn't help knowing I have it. It's very common in Arts and Crafts community. I would venture to guess that if I did a survey of crafters, 85% would say, "You can't have too much stuff."

My goal is to organize my supplies so I'll once again be able to find what I'm looking for when I need it. I was very organized for the first 30 years of my life. I was not crafty during those years. I have noticed that the more creative I become, the less desire I have to organize things. Maybe organizing was my hobby those first 30 years. Hummm, I'll have to ponder that in a spare moment.

I'm off to make a Red Hat card. If it turned out, I'll post a picture. I have progressed since last fall. I do know how to get the pictures out of the camera now.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on your crafts stuff......


4 comments:

  1. Boo...this is really good! Now that you have finally made a start with a name, I will look forward to more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Boo, Good luck with your jouney into decluttering your stash. I'm doing the same thing right now and it looks to be a summer-long project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on getting organized. I desperately need to get organized also and maybe someday I will. I'm glad I found your blog and I am going to bookmark it so I will be able to find it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments. I'm doing a little bit at a time. It's too big to do all at once. I also get sidetracked with a good idea for a card or project and have to stop and do that. lol

      Delete