Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

I'm Not Saving Junk, I'm Recycling!!!

I think my mojo is returning because trash is starting to look like treasure... I'm beginning to see things with the eye of an altered artist again. This is a good thing and a bad thing. Bad because it means I want to save odd items. Good because my creativity is starting to percolate at long last.

Examples.....

Mini Cereal Box
I had an individual size box of Frosted Flakes for breakfast this morning. It's a cute little box and it screamed to be made into a little house. It would have made a darling little house. I could see the roof made of textured paper and run through the corrugator. The walls would have been cool made from paper embossed with Tim Holtz bricks folder. Spanish moss would have been around the bottom for grass. Yep... it would have been a cute little house.

I gave it some thought and finally decided I really had no need for a tiny little cardboard house. I enjoyed my creative musings about how I would make the house and then pitched the box in the trash.


CD and DVD Containers
We buy cds and dvds in bulk at my office. My boss was throwing away an empty dvd packaging container. It never made it to the trash can. It has a wonderful tall spindle and a clear cover. I just knew I could do something cool with it. I wasn't sure what but I just couldn't let it go into the trash.

This morning I discovered the top and bottom didn't match so I threw it away. By lunch time, I realized I could switch out the other set of dvds and now I have a container ready to be recycled into something new. Yes, I took the container out of the trash can.

You may be wondering what the heck I'm going to do with it.... I think it will make a great ribbon holder. I have copious quantities of spool ribbon and we will not even mention the amount of fiber I have in 3 ft segments. Need fiber? Call me before you buy any.
I'm hoping if I can see my ribbon, I'll use it more often. Right now, it's in a drawer and a large plastic tub. It's not a convenient way to store it but when I moved in it was the best I could do. I didn't miss being able to see it until recently. The creative bug has bitten me and I want to see the pretty colors and textures.

I just had a thought. I sure hope that the ribbon will fit on the spindle. I'm going to be bummed if wrote this whole article and it does not work. I'll report later.


UPDATE : It worked!!! All I needed was a nice part of tin snips. I never realized that ribbon spools had so many different size holes in the center until today. Some have plastic hole covers, some have half inch holes and some have bigger. I was not to be thwarted. I have a lovely pair of tin snips. They work great on plastic and card board..... taadaa... now all the spools with fit on the spindle.

Today was a success. I recycled and I got rid of something in the same day. I'm on a roll!

I think I'm going to need a few more of these.... sigh





No comments:

Post a Comment