Pages

Monday, April 20, 2015

I Love Watercolor Crayons


 A couple of weeks ago, the challenge for the Documented Life Project was to use watercolor in your journal.  That same weeks a friend at church gave me these wonderful paper napkins.  

As always I separated the white backing from the printed images of the napkin.  I scribbled Lyra Watercolor crayons on a pallet and added a little water.  I used that technique to add orange, yellow and purple to the white layers of napkin and dried them with a heat tool. Next time I will glue the white napkins down and watercolor them on the page because the napkins are way to thin to move when wet.

I used matte medium to glue the yellow and orange pieces of napkin down. Than I glued the printed napkins down from right to left. I had a white spot so I added the purple pieces to the left.  

I have several pieces of sticky back paper that I found in a recycle bin at a print shop years ago. I use a piece of that to back the butterfly in the left upper corner because I wanted it to stand off the page. It works great with napkins because you can just lay the napkin right on the sticky part.  It is stiff enough that I could bind the wings a little to give it a 3D effect.

After everything was dry and sealed with matte medium I went back over the yellow and the orange with more watercolor crayon. I like how I can pick up color on my water brush straight from the crayon and get a really vibrant color.

To add more texture to the page I used a Crafter's Workshop Stencil and embossing paste to make little lines and then gesso and a piece of plastic mesh window screen as a stencil to make tiny white marks. 

Link to: Paint Party Friday, The Documented Life Project, Art Journal Every Day, Moo Mania and More 

11 comments:

  1. This is beautiful. I LOVE the colours - so vibrant. What an interesting technique. Not sure if I have the correct method in my head yet. Following you from Paint Party Friday.
    Blessings,
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could do the same thing by just painting the colors onto the background and using the napkins. Thanks for stopping by and visiting.

      Delete
  2. This is very beautiful Boo. I love my watercolour crayons too, but haven't done this with them. I have loads of napkins, so I suggest to myself to try, hehe. :o) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely stunning creation.
    You have taken napkins to a whole new level!

    ReplyDelete
  4. a gorgeous creation

    Thank you for joining us at MOO MANIA & MORE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I really appreciate stopping by

      Delete
  5. Beautiful work, thanks for joining us at Moo Mania and More, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful!
    Thank you for joining us at Moo Mania & More Challenges with it!

    xxx
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  7. What lovely colours! Thanks for sharing this with us at Moo Mania & More! :-) Kim x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great. I love it. Thanks for showing Anneke

    ReplyDelete