Pages

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Pockets and Butterflies


 The Tag:  You know I have a thing for recycling paper. This tag is made from a postcard I found in the recycle bin at my office.  It has a glossy finish. I covered it lightly with gesso and then black craft paint. Then I wiped off a good bit of the black and let it dry. I added blue Adirondack blue paint so that some of the black would show through.  I added the cream colored paint in the middle so it would show through the tissue paper I planned to use. 


The butterflies are a piece of Tim Holtz Tissue Wrap.  This paper is stronger than regular tissue paper. It reminds me of printed deli paper. I used my Pitt pens to color the butterflies on the wrong time of the paper. I've used this technique with vellum in the past. It gives a stained glass look to the images. After I glued it to the tag I added a bit of denim Adirondack paint to the edges to distress it.                                              

The Page:  This is my latest Altered Book.  I used more of Tim Holtz Tissue Wrap for the background and use acrylic paints for the color.
I made the pocket by cutting a single page about a 1/3 of the way down the center of the book and the folding it down at an angle.  I trimmed most of the folded part off leaving just enough turned under to give a nice smooth edge.  I glues just the right edge and the bottom to the page below leaving enough space for my tag.

                              

                      




12 comments:

  1. really lovely tag and journal pages- good to know about the Tim Holtz Tissue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was excited to realize I could do that with his tissue.

      Delete
  2. smashing projects Boo. Happy PPF, Annette x

    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is very gorgeous Boo. The butterfly tag and that page with pocket. Your work goes from strength to strength with each piece of art you create :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the recycle attitude and your art. Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in awe oh South lady! How in this world do mm you know how to do all of these steps? I think of you as a eat artist - real artist experiment a lot!!!
    Sandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your tag is so beautiful! And what a creative idea with the book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so nice. Well done
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous tags and altered book Boo,
    I'm a little torn over the idea of the altered books as I hardly bend a page when I'm reading a book. I also go into a cold sweat if I see someone cracking the spine of a book, but I can see and appreciate the art of the finished altered book.
    Enjoy your day xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boo, It's great to find someone with such a passion for recycling. It was also wonderful to see the lovey piece you created from the recycled postcard. Absolutely lovely pages for your altered book.
    :) Chris / CS Designs

    PS. I will be re-opening my Recycle, Re-Purpose & Re-Invent challenge blog in October and hope you will drop by often and share some of your recycled creations with us.

    ReplyDelete